We offer professional private lessons for clients:
- at our training center in Saranac Lake, NY
- in client homes within our service area with a travel fee
- at Little Valley Kennel in Malone, NY (currently on Thursdays only)
- via Zoom for distance clients
- and/or a combination of these options
We recommend private lessons for people who’d like to learn the art of positive, reward based training. Our goal is to provide you with the skills necessary to become a positive reinforcement trainer yourself.
We will be your guides as you understand a fun, entirely positive way of interacting and training your animal – we look forward to to working with you.
Please see below for our packages!
Additional Travel Rate = $5-20/lesson (depending upon your location)
You are more than welcome to meet us at our Saranac Lake training center for private lessons – and avoid the fee!
*By the way, if you’re looking for some dog socialization during your private lessons, we have our own dogs to help out. We can usually start introducing them by the third lesson (after you’ve learned the basic clicker mechanical skills and taught your dog a few behaviors).*
Private Lesson Packages
Six Hour/Two Month Basic Training Package:
- We have a puppy track, adolescent track, or adult dog track. We also make adjustments to our training approach if your animal is a rescue.
- You’ll receive six 60 minute lessons to be completed within two months. We highly encourage weekly lessons for the best learning results with your dog – but this package offers a flexibility.
- Additional information about puppies: Puppy Training at Animal Connection Training
- This training package focuses on helping you acquire basic training skills to teach your animal to focus on you and learn potential behaviors such as:
- touch a target
- sit and lie down
- settle on a mat
- polite walking
- beginning recall
- and/or other behaviors as determined by you and your animal
Private Package: $360 for 6 lessons
Semi-Private Package*: $200 each client for 6 lessons
*each client in semi-private package will receive his/her own treat pouch, clickers, books, and online access
Nine Hour/Three Month Calm & Confident Training Package for Reactive Dogs
- You’ll receive nine 1 hour lessons to be completed within three months. We highly encourage weekly lessons for the best learning results with your dog – but this package offers flexibility.
- This package goes beyond the basic training (please see list of potential behaviors above) and provides training for over-reactive animals. You’ll learn how to train using a method called “Calm & Confident“. The goal of the program is for your animal to choose (his/her choice – this is a very important aspect of the program!) to look at you and stay emotionally calm despite the presence of other animals, people, sounds, or sights which might have been disturbing in the past.
- This package includes 2 or 3 lessons away from the training center so you and your dog can practice your new skills in real life situations.
- For more information, please visit: Calm & Confident for Reactive Dogs
Price: $495 for 9 lessons
Our In-Home Training Program or Drop Off Dog Training
We know not all of you want to be animal trainers – and that’s okay!
If this is true, we highly recommend you take advantage of our “Home Training” program. We will do the training for you – and all we ask is you meet with us to learn how to maintain the behaviors we train your animal in an all positive way.
How does the program work?
- We will train your dog for a minimum of 12 sessions over 4 to 6 weeks (or more if needed for challenging behavior issues). This means we will be training your dog for two to three hours every week!
- Once a week, we will ask you to join us for the training session or via Zoom so you can learn what your animal has learned – specifically the cues (what the behavior is called) and the criteria (what the behavior looks like). We’ll show you how to keep your animal excited about performing these behaviors and how to keep your expectations at your animal’s level.
- You’ll receive a Terry Ryan Clicker Training Treat Bag
- We also supply a new client package with materials to support the weekly joint lessons with your animal, as well as email/phone support in between lessons.
- We will provide the treats – just let us know if your animal has any allergies.
Price: $630 for 12 lessons
All packages include:
- Your own Terry Ryan Clicker Training Treat Bag
- Study handouts, books, the online Training Basics, and the online Private Lesson Supportive Materials
- Email/phone support in between lessons
- Two hours of free support via email or phone after your lessons are completed – this is only good for one month after your last lesson so take advantage of it. We want to make sure you transition to training on your own without any problems!
The lessons should be held weekly as your dog will only improve if you practice regularly. BUT, we do understand it’s hard to find time, so we encourage you to keep up your lessons even if you don’t have much time to practice. We’ve found that staying with your weekly scheduled lesson is much more important. We recommend at least one lesson/week for best results!
Cancellation Policy: Any lesson cancelled within 24 hours of the lesson time will count as a lesson. If you cancel more than 24 hours before your lesson, that’s fine!
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND YOUR ANIMAL
We only use positive reinforcement training as specified by the Karen Pryor Clicker Training certification program. This means we will never use force, punishment, negative pressure (physically or verbally) in any part of our training with your animals. Instead, we focus entirely on the behaviors we’d like to see your animal accomplish, help them understand how to perform them, and provide them with lots of positive incentive. We find the animals love this approach as much as we do!